Bhagat Singh is considered to be a legend. The revolution icon of Indian youth Bhagat Singh attained martyrdom at an age of 23 and in such a less time, space inspired not only his generation but future lives too. The legend left the world a series of inspiring endeavors, even though he died at a relatively younger age.
A biography written by Kuldip Nayar titled “Without Fear: The Life and Trial of Bhagat Singh” is a wonderful book which gives the readers an insight of how a young man could stand for what he believed to be the path to achieve his goal-Complete Independence and restructuring the social order free of capitalism, class distinctions and privileges.
Here are 9 lesser known facts about Bhagat Singh which will help you take an inspiration from one of the most celebrated of Indian freedom fighters:
9 Things You Might Not Know About Bhagat Singh
- When Bhagat Singh visited the Jallianwala Bagh a day after the fateful massacre occurred, he was 12. The day after the Jalianwala Bagh incident, Singh slipped away from school, went straight to the place of the tragedy. He collected the mud , wet with blood inside a jar and went home. On returning home he said to sister “Look at this. This is blood of our people killed by British. Salute it.” He used to worship the bottle every day. As a child, Singh often spoke of “growing guns in the fields” so that he could fight the British.
- Bhagat Singh was a great actor in college and took part in several plays. His acting in ‘Rana Pratap’, ‘Samrat Chandragupta’ and ‘Bharata-Durdasha’ earned him praise from his teachers and classmates.
- To avoid getting married by his family, Singh ran away from his house . In a letter he left behind, he stated: My life has been dedicated to the noblest cause, that of the freedom of the country. Therefore, there is no rest or worldly desire that can lure me now. Even at the age of eight he told his classmates “Is marriage a big achievement? Anybody can marry. But I will drive the British out of India.”
- He was a member of Hindustan Socialist Republican Association (HSRA) . He’s credited to have added Socialist to the party’s name, earlier it was Hindustan Republican Association (HRA). Kartar Singh Sarabha was his role model along with Karl Marx , Lenin and others . He used carry a photograph of Kartar Singh Sarabha.
- In order to avenge the death of Lala Lajpat Rai, the revolutionaries decided to assassinate James A. Scott, who had ordered the police to lathi-charge the protesters and personally assaulted Rai. Jai Gopal, also a member of HSRA was given the task to signal Shivaram Rajguru, Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad when Scott came out of the District Police Headquarters in Lahore. However, Jai Gopal gave the signal when John P. Saunders, an Assistant Superintendent of Police appeared, it was a case of mistaken identity which led Rajguru to put the first bullet and later Bhagat Singh fired at Assistant Superintendent of Police.
- The bombs Bhagat Singh and his associates threw in the Central Assembly in Delhi were made from low grade explosives. They were lobbed away from people in the corridors of the building and were meant only to startle and not harm. The British investigation into the incident and forensics report also confirmed this.
- Bhagat Singh and his comrades were jailed for Saunder’s killing and Assembly bomb blast case. The pathetic condition of the jail prompted them to go on a hunger strike. Jatin Das a member of HSRA who mastered in preparing bombs breathed his last after 63 days of hunger, certain revolutionaries decided to call off the hunger strike. But not Bhagat Singh and B.K. Dutt, they carried on. Congress party and his father persuaded the duo to call of the hunger strike. Finally, on 5th October 1929, they called off the strike. It was the 116th day of the strike thus surpassing then record of 97 days set by an Irish revolutionary.
- During the trail his father wanted Bhagat Singh to appeal. This angered him, because he never did a mistake and he would never appeal. Freedom was his birthright and he was fighting tooth and nail for it , as simple as that.
- Bhagat Singh was hanged an hour ahead of the official time when the death sentence was to be commuted and was secretly cremated on the banks of the river Sutlej by jail authorities. However, thousands of people on hearing the news gathered at the spot and took out a procession with his ashes.
Also Read: Things you must know about India